Tuesday, February 2, 2010

About What's it like to work at Central Prison in Raleigh, NC



What's it like to work at Central Prison in Raleigh, NC?
I am looking into getting a job at Central Prison in Raleigh, NC. I was wondering if anyone had experience working either at Central Prison or even a prison in general. I want to know what its like to work there as a Correctional Officer, like what do you deal with on a daily basis and general information like that. 
Law Enforcement & Police - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
boring
2 :
I work in a female unit of 50 women. I am not an Officer, but i work with the Officers. Being a correctional officer is no easy task, wherever you work. Your safety is a concern. There are some very dangerous, violent people who will resent you for breathing. Wear gloves!!! Lots of STDs , HIV , Hepatitis C etc. Make sure your hep. shots are up to date. I am kind to them , but I never trust them or turn my back. Some Officers are abusive and demeaning. They have the most problems. You'll have to choose your style.
3 :
I worked for 23 years in the New York State Department of Correctional Services. My first posting was at Sing-Sing-Prison a Maximum Security prison. We had 1,800 inmates in 1970. The most dangerous time is usually meal time. There were three mess halls which accommodated the entire population except for the Special Housing unit. The Death House was closed at that time. We had inmate head counts about six per tour of duty. We broke up fights, responded to large disturbances, wrote reports etc. There was a riot in the yard. It started at 11:00am. We got out of work at 11:00pm that night after frisking not only the inmates but the housing units as well. September 1971, responded to Attica Prison Riot. 43 people were killed. I then transferred to Downstate C.F. which was reception and classification. I made Sergeant after 7 years at Sing-Sing. Worked at Downstate for a number of years as Asst. Watch Commander then was promoted to Lieutenant and transferred up state near the Canadian Border. I was Watch Commander, Disciplinary Lieutenant, and did investigations of Correction Officers who violated established rules and regulations of the department. I met some very good friends in the Department. I retired in 1993. My education was college. My son is a Police Detective in New York.